Saturday, July 18, 2015

Diabetic Diet - Zucchini, Flaxseed and Amaranth Pancakes

We learned this week that our son Luke has developed Type I Diabetes.  While Luke seems to be taking the diagnosis in stride, this of course, has his mother and I struggling to learn how our lives will all be changed.  I am now starting to adjust my recipes for low carb, high protein meals.  This will be an ongoing exeriment which will, no doubt, bring both successes and failures.  Though, I have always tried to prepare heathy dishes, most of them were high in carbohydrates.  This will be the first of my posts of recipes directed toward a healthy diet for diabetics.



Ingredients
1                 large Zucchini (Grated)
1                 Carrot Grated
2 tbsp         Flaxseed
2 tbsp         Amaranth Flour (I used Rajagaro flour which is available at Indian grocers) 
2                 Eggs
Walnut or Coconut oil for frying


Begin by grinding Flaxseed to a fine powder.  Lightly beat eggs in a bowl.  Add other ingredients and stir to combine, mixture will be wet but will come together when cooking. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes before frying.  Scoop 1/2 cup at a time onto a frying pan or griddle over medium heat.   Fry for two to three minutes per side.  




1 comment:

  1. Those zucchini pancakes look tasty. I never thought of using Amaranth flour. Thanks for posting. I don't see any salt or pepper in the recipe - any reason why? Also did you eat the pancakes by themselves or with a condiment or chutney?

    ReplyDelete